Day 6: Gaining Confidence Through Martial Arts

In the morning we went to the studio. We started the lesson off by practicing different combinations using our bamboo sticks, before moving on to kickboxing skills as well as some jiu-jitsu moves involving grappling and how to get out of sticky situations while on the ground. During one of our water breaks in between Professor Scott gave us an introduction to the Confidence Cycle while also including a pep talk on how to become confident in our day-to-day lives.


Students practicing bamboo stick attacks.

Each day I’ve noticed improvements in my form as well as stamina. I noticed I could last for more rounds on the bags without getting tired this week as well as wake up less sore the following morning. 

Students lined up to practice kickboxing techniques and combinations.

After our lunch break today, we gathered in the commons for a zoom lecture from our martial arts instructors. Although the word lecture typically comes with a boring connotation, this was anything but. One by one, our instructors told us what got them into martial arts, and why the practice is important to them. As someone who at the beginning of the course just thought martial arts was similar to what I saw in the Kung Fu Panda movie series, I was on the edge of my seat listening to their background stories, and I shared their passion. They also each individually explained to us how we can apply the knowledge they gained through the intricacy of the martial arts practice to get us out of dangerous situations in our daily lives, but more importantly, how to be the best version of ourselves. I don’t think I was seriously getting into martial arts up until this zoom call. 

Until Tomorrow, signing off

The Sarahs + Anna


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3: Gi, Chokeholds, Kali Sticks, and Kung Fu Hustle

Day 1 - Americana

Day 2 - Double Sticks, Takedowns, and More